What we do
The eating disorder transition service is a psychology outpatient service available within the Eastern region for adults, including youth 18 years of age and older. Our goal in this service is to assist in transitioning individuals between services, e.g. adolescent to adult, inpatient to outpatient services.
We provide the following
- psychological treatment specializing in eating disorders
- treatment planning, including transitioning to other more intensive programs, i.e. HOPE or EDIP, or less intensive programs, e.g. outpatient community or DoorWays services; and
- discharge planning.
Who we see
This service is for individuals with symptoms consistent with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and other specified feeding and eating disorders. Please note that a formal diagnosis is not a requirement for referral.
How to access this service
- Individuals can be referred through their health provider (physician or nurse practitioner) or through any other eating disorder service (adolescent medicine, outpatient dietitians, HOPE, or EDIP). A completed referral form (PDF) should be sent to Adult Eating Disorder Services (Hope Program, Eastern Health), via fax 709-777-2042.
- Directing a referral to the transition program could be based on:
- Client preference for type of service as well as appropriateness of the service. At times, clients may prefer one type of service but they would benefit more from another service, i.e. clients may prefer individual therapy but they would benefit more from group therapy, in which case a more appropriate referral will be discussed.
- A concern that the client may not be meeting criteria for an eating disorder diagnosis, i.e. disordered eating.
- A lack of readiness for the HOPE Program or inpatient program.
- Please note: The client will need to have continued medical monitoring as they participate in outpatient services and upon discharge.
- Process for appointments: Upon receipt of a referral, the transition psychologist will call the client inviting them to make an appointment either by calling 709-777-2041 or emailing email@example.com
Where we are
Renata Withers Centre for HOPE
35 Major’s Path
St. John’s, NL
How to reach us