What we do
The Eating Disorder Inpatient Program (EDIP) is a four-bed inpatient eating disorder unit at the Health Sciences Centre. This program provides inpatient services for adults 18 and older, with eating disorders whose restrictive eating, and/or compensatory behaviour (e.g. purging, over exercising, laxative use) place them at high risk for medical complications.
We are a group-based cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) program that includes dialectival behaviour therapy (DBT), and is influenced by emotion focused family therapy (EFFT).
We offer nutritional rehabilitation, and two phases of treatment:
- The first phase is symptom interruption, used to disrupt an individual’s eating disorder symptoms and compensatory behaviours.
- The second phase involves intensive, group programming, including CBT, DBT and family education.
Individuals admitted for the first phase, symptom interruption, may transition to the second phase, the treatment part of the program following the symptom interruption phase. If not, individuals will be discharged after they have completed the first phase.
How to access this service
Criteria for admission
- A diagnosis of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or other specified feeding or eating disorder.
- An agreement to participate in the meal support program.
- A willingness to abstain from eating-disorder symptoms.
A referral can be made to EDIP by any health-care professional. Additional information from a physician or nurse practitioner is also required. Referrals are triaged to the most appropriate service within the eating disorder continuum of care. An intake assessment will be conducted and, if appropriate, patients will be put on a wait list. Before admission, you will be invited to attend a pre-admission appointment.
- Family medicine physician
- Social worker
- occupational therapist
Where we are
Eating Disorder Inpatient Program
Health Sciences Centre
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation
Our hours of operation are 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
How to reach us
For questions or if you require further information, please contact EDIP team members at 709-777-7154.
For more referral information, please contact the Intake Coordinator at 709-777-2041.