What we do
Clinical Sexology is a specialized mental health service that offers sexual education as well as assessment and treatment of sexual difficulties for adults, individuals and/or couples, in a setting outside the hospital. The clinical sexologist uses a variety of psychotherapeutic techniques to assist clients with presenting concerns such as:
- Sexual dysfunctions (arousal and orgasm difficulties, desire discrepancies),
- Atypical sexual interests and paraphilias,
- Gender identity and transitioning, and
- Sexual orientation concerns.
The first step includes an assessment which includes an interview to gain an understanding of the issue and how it has impacted your relationships and overall quality of life.
When applicable, your partner may be asked to join the sessions. After the problem is discussed, we will inquire about psychosexual history focusing on:
- Early sexual experiences,
- Previous sources of information on sexuality,
- Past and current sexual behaviours, interests and fantasies
- Level of sexual and relationship satisfaction,
- Sexual orientation and gender identity, and
- Medical conditions and medications that may impact sexual functioning.
We will then work with you to establish therapeutic goals and a treatment plan that is tailored to your unique concerns. This usually includes education about sexual health, anatomy, sexual response and the assignment of individual and/or couple exercises.
Clinical sexology is a mental health service that uses psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy. Physical examination or physical touch of any kind between the client and therapist is not a part of therapy and is considered inappropriate for this type of service.
How to access this service
Referrals can be made to the Clinical Sexology Program by any health-care professional. Please complete the Mental health and addictions referral form (PDF) or a letter including the client’s name, date of birth, MCP number, contact information (address and phone) and reason for referral.
Clinical sexologists are trained mental health professionals that specialize in the assessment and treatment of a variety of sexual issues and concerns of individuals and couples.
Where we are
657 Topsail Road,
St. John’s, NL
How to reach us
Telephone: 709-752-4923 (program manager)
Telephone: 709-777-3786 (clinical sexologist)
Telephone: 709-777-5074 (administrative support)